Scrolling through social media I came across some posts where book influencers post images or video unboxing a publisher’s influencer kit. A book influencer is someone with more than 5,000 followers promoting books and reading. Publishing companies develop an influencer kit in order to market and promote a new book and title. An influencer kit includes a copy of the book, nicely designed press materials, and a few small gifts or products that complement the content of the book.
Oh, I would love to be unboxing some of these amazing publishing book kits!
The image above was posted by Abigail Owen on her website. The influencer book she showcases contained:
- The custom box that matches the cover art and is a piece of art all by itself, inside & out
- A custom temporary tattoo to match the cover, created by artist Amy Shane
- A collapsable hand mirror that says “Born to Rule” on the back (the tagline)
- A diamond art kit that is a skulls and flowers design
- The book itself!
Inspired by the images, I designed this book influencer kit summer reading assignment for my students. Students will create their own influencers box based on their summer reading. For additional fun, you can have them create TikTok like videos unboxing and showcasing the influencers kit for others. The objective is for students to make the book’s content come to life. Students will have to think of creative ways to pull the book’s content off the pages and into something fun and tangible.
- Consider creating a print showcasing your favorite quote or phrase.
- Make the package personal by including a letter or handwritten note.
- Include products that will help a reader put the concepts in your book into practice. Maybe include bright glow in the dark stars if the protagonist is fascinated with the universe and the possibility of UFOs. Or atomic fireball candy if the book is Steve Sheinkin’s Bomb: The Race to Build and Steal the World’s Most Dangerous Weapon. Even simple items like themed socks, buttons, and stickers can add a little something extra to your package.
- Design the box so that it is visually appealing. Choose colors and fonts that connect with the story.
The influencer’s kit should contain 4-5 items including the book to market the book to other readers.
I am so excited to see what my students put together.